Solicitors, Peddlers, Transient Merchants & Mobile Vendors

Issued To

  • Peddler: A person who goes to locations physically selling goods. Peddlers seek out customers, and are not stopped or parked waiting for customers to come to them
  • Solicitor: A person who goes location to location soliciting donations (other than for political campaigns) or taking orders for goods/services that will be delivered on a later date
  • Transient Merchant: A person who temporarily sells and delivers goods while using or occupying private property, a vacant lot, parking lot, motor vehicle, trailer, structure, tent or portable shelter
  • Mobile Vendor: A person who sells goods from a vehicle, trailer or cart, and temporarily uses or occupies any street or right-of way. A mobile vendor may also operate on private property under specific circumstances


Peddler, Solicitor, Mobile Vendor & Transient Merchant Registration Form (PDF)


Renew by Jan. 1 annually

Additional Requirements

  • Transient merchants who will be at a location for multiple days must obtain a City Conditional Use Permit
  • If catering a private outdoor residential event, mobile vendors also need a City Block Party Permit
  • If catering a special event sponsored by a business or retail property, mobile vendors will also need a City Special Event Permit
  • If operating in a City park, mobile vendors will also need a City Park Vending Permit
  • Mobile vendors must provide a "Certificate of Insurance" naming the City as an additional insured and provide a copy of a Minnesota Department of Health/Department of Agriculture license with their application (if serving food)
  • Every individual solicitor and peddler must register, regardless of whether or not a fellow employee or supervisor has already registered
  • All solicitors, peddlers and transient merchants must wear City-issued identification showing their name and the business/organization name. Identification must be visible at all times
  • Mobile vendors must display their license on the vehicle, trailer or cart in a manner that is visible to the purchasing public


Registration fee peddlers, solicitors, transient merchants, mobile vending (PDF)


Non-commercial door-to-door advocates do not need to register with police; however, they must provide the City with a list of the full names and birth dates of individuals going door-to-door -- and wear or display identification at all times


Questions? Contact

Burnsville Police Department
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville, Minn. 55337