Recreational Bonfire Permit

Issued To 

Homeowners holding recreational bon fires on their property

Icon of computer mouse pointer clickingApplication

Apply online for a recreational burning permit


Permits must be renewed annually

Additional Requirements

  • Prior to starting the fire, call the Recreational Burning Hotline at 952-895-4666 to ensure it is safe to burn with the current weather conditions
  • Fires are only allowed on private property or in landscaped cul-de-sac islands 
  • The fire must be contained within a non-combustible fire ring
  • The fire must be minimum of 25 feet from structures and fencing and minimum of 15 feet from property line. The pile size maximum is three feet in diameter and three feet in height. The ground within five feet of the base of fire must be clear of all combustible materials, including grass and weeds
  • All recreational fires must be extinguished by 11 p.m.
  • Only firewood can be burned. Leaves, yard waste, construction materials, rubbish/trash, combustible waste materials and painted or treated lumber cannot be burned
  • A water supply must be at the burning site.i.e. garden hose, bucket of water
  • A responsible adult must be present during the burning and constantly attend the fire until fully extinguished
  • Outdoor wood burning appliances must be maintained in safe conditions at all times and should be on level ground to avoid accidental tipping of the appliance
  • If constructing a barbeque pit call Gopher State One at 651-454-0002 get get utility locations marked in the planned dig area. Dig a hole into the ground that is no more than three-feet in width. Must include non-combustible ring to encase the fire


There is no cost for a Recreational Burning Permit

Questions? Contact

Burnsville Fire Department
Assistant Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Doug Nelson
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville, Minn. 55337